Our menu today is taking us to Brittany, a land of legends, druids, menhirs and dolmen. I love Brittany and when my children were younger, we spent many holidays there in the Côtes-d’Armor in a small commune called Saint-Quay-Portrieux.
Here are a few facts about Brittany:
- There are roughly 6,000 menhirs and 1,000 dolmens in Brittany.
- People in the Finistère department great each other with only one ‘bise’.
- Paimpont Forest is said to be the Forest of Broceliande from the Arthurian Legend. Merlin the Wizard of the Woods’ tomb can be found there.
- During WWII, Brittany played a crucial role in the Resistance. In 1944, 135 allied airmen were evacuated to Britain from the Plage Bonaparte near Plouha
- The Breton language was forbidden in schools from the 19th to the first half of the 20th century, in order to force people to speak French.
The film I have chosen today to showcase the beautiful landscapes of Brittany is Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles, a 2004 film by Jean-Pierre Jeunet featuring Audrey Tautou.
Apéritif / Appetizer
Entrée / Starter
Plat principal / Main course
Vegetarian and vegan option